Monday, January 2, 2012

Hoppin John

Happy New Year! My plans for 2012 is going to be to save money with coupons. So far so good thanks to consumer queen. I made for the first time Hoppin John for New Years day. I must say it was really good. It was pretty cheap to make. The picture is one I found on the internet but I must say it looked just like my bowl. This is Emerill's recipe.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large ham hock
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 pound black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and rinsed
1 quart chicken stock
Bay leaf
1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
Salt, black pepper, and cayenne
3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
3 cups steamed white rice
Directions
Heat oil in a large soup pot, add the ham hock and sear on all sides for 4 minutes. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic, cook for 4 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, stock, bay leaves, thyme, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the peas are creamy and tender, stir occasionally. If the liquid evaporates, add more water or stock. Adjust seasonings, and garnish with green onions. Serve over rice

1 comment:

  1. This is how poor we are. I just heated up a can of backeyed peas and heated some frozen cornbread from the freezer. We will see how much luck that brought us at the end of 2012. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home momma who dreams of becoming a chef. I also of course love making my house beautiful.