Tuesday, April 5, 2011

This week

This week...maybe even tomorrow I will make Julia Child's garlic mashed potatoes. Now let me first say that my family likes the regular old way of mashed potatoes. SO I probably will hear "why didn't you make our mashed potatoes the regualar way". Well get ready family we are trying something new! Here is the recipe and tomorrow I should have pics!
Garlic Mashed Potatoes


Printable recipe here

¼ cup roasted garlic cloves
½ cup milk {reduced fat is fine, but not skim}
½ cup heavy cream or crème fraîche
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Kosher salt
2 pounds potatoes, preferably Idaho or Yukon Gold, peeled and quartered

Purée the garlic, milk and cream in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in butter; cover and keep warm.

Meanwhile, bring a large a 3-quart or larger pan of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt and the potatoes. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes; drain.

Arrange a potato ricer over a large heat-proof bowl and press the potatoes through it. If you don’t have a potato ricer {go out and get one - it makes super-smooth mashed potatoes!} just mash the potatoes in the bowl using a potato masher or wooden spoon.

Dribble in the hot milk mixture beat until the potatoes are creamy. Taste and add more salt if you think they need it. I find that they almost always need some – start with ½ teaspoon kosher salt or ¼ teaspoon table salt and go from there.

Serve warm, sprinkled with some freshly chopped parsley or chives.

Makes 4 generous or 6 modest side servings.
Inspired by a recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, page 52

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home momma who dreams of becoming a chef. I also of course love making my house beautiful.