Wednesday, October 15, 2014

What's for Dinner?

It is finally starting to feel like fall. I made the best chicken tortilla soup yesterday. I just had to share!

Ingredients

2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Small onion diced

Carrot peeled and chopped

Celery stick diced

1 red bell pepper diced

1 clove garlic minced

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1 quart chicken stalk

1 cup water

1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes

1 cup half and half

Shredded cooked chicken

Shredded cheese (optional)

Sour cream (optional)

Avocado (optional)

 

Heat oil in dutch oven or large pot until hot. Add carrots, onion, celery, and red pepper. Stir the veggies until soft. Add salt and pepper to season.

Add garlic and all the spices. Cook for about 2 minutes. Then add water, chicken stock, and canned tomatoes. Simmer for about 20 minutes. I also added salt and pepper to season.

Bring the soup to a boil and add about 7 tortillas that are cut into strips. Stir until the tortillas thicken the soup. Simmer for about 40 minutes.

Before serving add half and half and fried tortilla strips

Tortilla strips are easy to make. Cut about 7 tortillas into strips. Heat some oil in a skillet about 350 degrees and add the strips. Cook until golden brown.

Garnish with anything you want!

 

 

I used the recipe from The Chow but it is not exact. I changed some stuff.

 

1 comment:

  1. You didn't tell me you were having soup or I would have come over. Next time remember Nana.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home momma who dreams of becoming a chef. I also of course love making my house beautiful.