Thursday, August 11, 2011

It's a cupcake kind of day

What fun it is to decorate cupcakes. I made a wonderful salted caramel cupcake. It was pretty simple to make. Then I just played around with a chocolate icing recipe. I made it up and turned out so good.

Here is how I made the chocolate icing
1 stick of unsalted butter
1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup of whipping cream
about 2 cups of powdered sugar

Melt the butter and chocolate chips on the stove. Add your cream. Sift your sugar and then mix it with your chocolate syrup.

Salted Caramel Icing
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature 1teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup powdered sugar


INSTRUCTIONS Briefly stir together granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture turns dark amber in color, about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly add in cream and vanilla, stirring with a wooden spoon until completely smooth. Set aside until cool to the touch, about 25 minutes. Combine butter and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low, add powdered sugar, and mix until completely incorporated. Turn mixer off and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add caramel. Beat frosting on medium-high speed until airy and thoroughly mixed, about 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until stiff, about 45 minutes, before using.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, these look DELICIOUS! I wish I were there to try them.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home momma who dreams of becoming a chef. I also of course love making my house beautiful.